Friday, September 25, 2009

Requesting a miracle-updated

Friday Afternoon Update
I did not receive a call about the appeal, so I have to wait until Monday morning. Continue to pray, please.
Another update
I received a call from the insurance company indicating the appeal is in process. I may know something this afternoon. If not, I won't know until Monday morning.
********UPDATED*********
I received a call back from my original doctor, they have faxed (upon my request) all my clinical paperwork since I have been at their office for this problem. The faxed CT scans, MRI's, epidural injection information, and anything that pertained to my back.
I received another call from my insurance company indicating that if they received it before 2:00 p.m. I should have an answer before 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, but they would try to get it taken care of today.
PRAY for approval!
Original Post
I received a letter yesterday from my insurance company denying benefits for my surgery. I have spoken with the doctor's office and they indicated I needed to be my own advocate (WTF) and fight the insurance company. I have left a message with the insurance company appeals department (expedited appeal section) and I have called and left another message for my original doctor (that I have been seeing for 4 years about this problem).

I am frustrated and in severe pain. The claims department said they would expedite an appeal if the person is in "severe pain that is unmanageable". I am at that point. I cannot sleep, stand, sit, or walk without pain. The pain meds make me very nauseous and tired so I can't take them at work (besides the fact they don't even begin to touch the pain itself - kind of like putting a bandaid on an amputation.)

I paid $25 (of my own money) to have the FMLA paperwork filled out (that is what my doctor's office charged me for special insurance forms.) If I don't have the surgery on Tuesday, then I am going to have to pay the $25 again to have new paperwork filled out when I can get the surgery approved. My doctor's office said if I could come up with half of his charge ahead of time they would proceed (his charge is $45,624 - so I would need $22,812). She then indicated to me that she could try to talk the doctor into taking half of the $22,812 as a first payment so we could proceed. That is fine and dandy but we DON'T have that kind of money. We are living paycheck to paycheck with my husband working part-time (finally).

Ok...now the ranting part. I pay VERY good money(read I pay LOTS of money) for my insurance. The cost of this insurance reduces my bi-weekly paycheck in half! Why the hell I am paying that kind of money for them to not take care of my needs?

I am pissed, hurt, angry, sad, and discouraged. I am depressed and in severe debilitating pain. do they think I really want to have a surgery that is going to put me out of work for over six weeks. Six weeks in which I will NOT receive a paycheck because I don't have sick time banked? Seriously!

Now, I am waiting on a return call from my original doctor. I need to get those records to my insurance company. I need it YESTERDAY, not in twenty minutes, not in two hours,...grr!

Do you know how it feels to sit, stand, or walk with such pain? To have it shooting through your back almost dropping you to your knees at times?

Why wouldn't this surgery be medically necessary? I virtually have no disks left in my lower spine.

Sorry, but I am pissed. My sentences make no sense and I don't care.

I need a miracle.

No comments: