Sunday, November 16, 2008

Missing my father-in-law

Sad to have to post this but Friday night we lost my father in law. Neal was only 62 years old but his health had not always been the best. He has had heart problems since he was 38 years old. In recent years he has had several stints and many trips to the hospital. This was one of those things that you expect eventually but aren't ready for it even when it happens.
My husband, Glen, and his dad were so close. Glen lived with his dad after his parents were divorced. Neal thought the sun rose and set in Glen and I am pretty sure Glen thought the same thing. There were a few rocky years in the middle - but things were patched up many years ago and the bonds grew only tighter.


Last year Glen and Neal became very involved in remote control airplanes. As I would tell Neal...another "High Dollar Hobby". The would spend HOURS in that barn working on those planes. Putting them together, putting in the engines, putting the weights on the them, gluing, testing, flying, CRASHING, them! I think they spent more time crashing them they they did actually flying them! After they crashed them they would make the 1/2 hour drive to HobbyTownUSA to invest in more parts and more planes. The may have increased HobbyTown's sales 200% that summer all by themselves! Like I said "High Dollar Hobby!"

Neal was so proud of this plane....it took 1 flight before it ate the dust!!!
This year they were very involved in my step-son's go-kart racing. Tristan would race, Glen was the mechanic and Neal with the Crew Chief :) or something like that. Every Thursday and Saturday they were at that track. He would ride his little scooter and push Tristan to the start line each night...it was kind of a tradition.
Everyday inbetween they were in the barn working on that car. I have never seem a grandfather more proud that when Tristan won his very first race. Tears streaming down grandpa's eyes. Tears streaming down Glen's eyes. Two peas in a pod.
Neal, Glen and Tristan after Tristan won the STATE championship this year.

Every day Glen would call his dad and ask him if he wanted to run into town with him. His dad may have stayed in the truck, but they spent that time together. Glen is going to miss him. We would invite him to dinner and he said I made the best damn hamburgers he had ever tasted. He also loved my lasagna, meatloaf and everything else. He tried to talk me into opening a restaurant one time.

He sure is going to be missed around here.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Today is actually the one-year anniversary of my father-in-law's death -- he and my husband were really close, too. It's definitely not an easy thing to go through, but we can find comfort in knowing that they're in a better place. Good luck with everything; I'll pray for you, Glen, and your family.