Tuesday, March 10, 2009

7th grade algebra!

I received a phone call yesterday from my oldest son. The conversation went like this:

Tyler: Mom, I need your help.
Me: Ok

Tyler: It's math, write this down.
Me: Ok

Tyler: Are you ready?
Me: Yes

Tyler: Carbon 14 has a life span of 5730 years. After 17190 years 1/8 of carbon 14 and a sample will be left. If 5 gms of carbon 14 are left after 17190 years, how much was in the original sample?
Me: Ok

Tyler: Read it back to me
So I did

Tyler: What's the answer?
Me: I have no clue! Why are you doing problems like this?

Tyler: I didn't write the book mom, this is the problem I have to do.
Me: I know that but seriously! Give me a minute to figure this out.

Okay...I hate algebra. I hate story problems. So why would my son call me and ask for help with the two things I dislike about math. I ended up having to ask 2 different people for the help with the equation. I worked it out and got the answer. So I called Tyler back.

Me: Here is your equation 1/8x = 5 years and the answer is x=40 gms
Tyler: That's right...we were working on dividing equations...that's makes sense. I had the right equation but I had the numbers in the wrong place.

I had to laugh at that one...cause if the numbers are in the wrong place - then it's not the right equation! He's too funny!

On another note, I have a doctor update:

The doc says that the swelling is nothing to worry about at this time. He wants to recheck in a month to make sure there are no changes. That's good news!

I get my back re-checked tomorrow.

Have a great evening!

No comments: