Monday, October 27, 2008

Me time!

Last week was a busy one. I finished my Communications class on Thursday with a final speech. I was sure glad to get that over with! Friday was fall break for the University. I was able to sleep in. I was such a yuck day - rainy. It was nice to just stay in.

Saturday morning I left for Nashville. It was "me" time. I had been waiting for this day for quite some time. I was going to the Grand Ole Opry for the very first time!!! The trip down was uneventful. I listened to a book on cd and really enjoyed just driving by myself.

I arrived in Nashville around 3:30 and checked into my hotel. My friends send me a text message to see if I had gotten in yet. Several people that I knew were also going to be going to the Opry that night and we had made plans to meet up before the show! I showered and went to pick up Katie (she came in from Georgia) and we headed to the Opry.


I was just amazed at the place. She took my picture in from of the sign (see above) and then we toured the museum. To see all that history in one place left me speechless. If you have any kind of love for country music, like I do, you need to see it - even once. There is so much there to appreciate. So many legends that have come before the great musicians that we have now. If it weren't for these folks...there would be no country music!
Okay, anyway, it was time to finally get in line. I got to see my other friends (Dianne & Melinda)!The reason for being at the Opry was #1 to see Rodney Atkins (of course) and to see Craig Morgan get inducted into the Opry as a member. The show was aired live on GAC and it was really neat to see how the tv show is aired. I later watched it and it was completely different than what I saw that night.



John Conlee giving Craig Morgan his Opry Award

I saw many different artists that night besides Rodney & Craig...legend Little Jimmy Dickens, Larry Gatlin, Jeanne Sealy, Jack Greene, new artist Kristy Lee Cook (making her Opry debut), Hal Ketchum, the Whites, Chuck Wicks, and many others. It was the most amazing experience.

Little Jimmy Dickens


Larry Gatlin


Kristy Lee Cook

Chuck Wicks

I stayed in Nashville for the night and drove home Sunday. The weather was perfect and traffic couldn't have been any better. I arrived home at 2:30 and was exhaused. I don't sleep well when I am out of town, but I completely enjoyed my time away.

While I was away, Tristan had a race Saturday night. It was a memorial race that was 150 laps. Tristan came in 2nd and was able to lead for 5 of the 150 laps. The race was between him and another driver. I guess it was a pretty close race. Too bad I missed it.

We had dinner with my sister-in-law and her fiance' Sunday night.

Well, it's back to reality - work today and a new class starts tomorrow. I had a great weekend and can't wait to go back to Nashville in November!

No comments: